What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- Be Good and Ready in an emergency
- Welcome packs help former refugee families make their new house a home
- “I didn’t give up. I kept smiling.”
- QBE Insurance and New Zealand Red Cross to help more Kiwis prepare for emergencies
- COVID-19 Place of Interest : New Zealand Red Cross Shop Frankton Hamilton
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Our first refugee camps
Our first aid workers were sent to deliver medical supplies and help set up refugee camps during the second Sino-Japanese conflict from 1937 to 1945. The conflict was due to Japanese expansion into China's territory.
There was a great national response, with nearly $1 million (2014 inflation) being donated to the Far East Relief Fund, which was jointly administered by the Order of St John. Dr Tremewan and Dr Grey were stationed in Loyang and Chengchow.