What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Community Activator - Gisborne
We have an exciting opportunity for a Community Activator to be based in Gisborne.
Community Activator Role
New Zealand Red Cross is a member National Society of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), which is the world's largest humanitarian network. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
New Zealand Red Cross plays a vital role in providing assistance to vulnerable people in New Zealand and overseas. We are an organisation with over 15,000 voluntary members and 500 staff and we have an exciting opportunity for a motivated Community Activator to join our Humanitarian Development team in Wellington.
The Community Activator will be a key local team member in supporting and growing New Zealand Red Cross humanitarian impact in the community through local partnerships and empowering members and volunteers. Utilising a proactive community engagement approach, the Community Activator will facilitate and support communities, members and volunteers to develop or deliver humanitarian action that is aligned with the mission, strategic priorities and fundamental principles of New Zealand Red Cross. This is an exciting entry level role into the humanitarian sector.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Working with communities to build connectedness and resilience which will enable communities to feel more connected and prepared to respond to and recover from disasters and emergencies.
- Supporting members, volunteers and communities to take leadership in developing local solutions to local needs.
- Empowering the wider community to become humanitarians in their own backyards to support vulnerable people in Aotearoa.
- Inspiring young people to undertake humanitarian action.
We encourage you to apply for this role if you have:
- Experience in any combination of the following; volunteer management, community engagement, youth development, disaster risk management, civil defence.
- Empathy and a strong passion for humanitarian causes.
- A passion for working with volunteers.People skills: good communication with individuals, groups and people from diverse backgrounds.
- Relationship building skills (internally and externally).
- Demonstrated experience of being a “self-starter”, showing initiative, creating opportunities proactively.
- Understanding and experience of using community engagement approaches in the humanitarian field.
- Confidence to work respectfully and effectively within multicultural contexts, and include people of all abilities, gender identities and ages.
We are looking for someone who will be passionate about working with communities in the wider Gisborne/East Coast District. You would be great for this role if you have prior experience in engaging with communities in Gisborne/East Coast District. If you have an understanding of, and a commitment to Te Ao Māori and experience in engaging with local iwi and tangata whenua you would also be a good fit for this role.
New Zealand Red Cross is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. We welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Read the full job description here
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for further information, please contact Audrey Tolua, at New Zealand Red Cross on email@example.comAPPLY NOW