What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Community Activator - Whangarei | Part time
We have an exciting opportunity for a part time Community Activator to join our team in the Whangarei service centre.
We are seeking to employ a Community Activator to join our energetic Humanitarian Development team.
About the Role
The Community Activator will be a key local team member in supporting and growing New Zealand Red Cross humanitarian impact in the community through local partnerships and empowering members and volunteers.
Utilising a proactive community engagement approach, the Community Activator will facilitate and support communities, members and volunteers to develop and/or deliver humanitarian action that is aligned with the mission, strategic priorities and fundamental principles of New Zealand Red Cross. This is an exciting entry level role into the humanitarian sector.
You will have responsibility for:
- Working with communities to build connectedness and resilience which will enable communities to feel more united and prepared to respond to and recover from disasters and emergencies.
- Supporting members, volunteers and communities to take leadership in developing local solutions to local needs.
- Empowering the wider community to become humanitarians in their own backyards to support vulnerable people in Aotearoa.
- Inspiring young people to undertake humanitarian action.
- Upholding best practice in child protection and promoting this with our volunteers and members action.
You will have (some of) these strengths listed below:
- Experience in any combination of the following; volunteer management, community engagement, youth development, disaster risk management, civil defence.
- Empathy and a strong passion for humanitarian causes.
- A passion for working with volunteers.
- People skills: good communication with individuals, groups and people from diverse backgrounds.
- Relationship building skills (internally and externally).
- Demonstrated experience of being a “self-starter”, showing initiative, creating opportunities proactively.
- Understanding and experience of using community engagement approaches in the humanitarian field.
- Confidence to work respectfully and effectively within multicultural contexts, and include people of all abilities, gender identities and ages.
About New Zealand Red Cross and our culture:
We have begun a journey towards delivering stronger community impact with our new 10-year strategy (Strategy 2030). This is your opportunity to contribute to long lasting positive change in New Zealand.
New Zealand Red Cross is a member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. Our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We play a vital role in providing assistance to vulnerable people in New Zealand and overseas.
We are an organisation with 10,000+ volunteers and 500 plus staff. We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce and adhere to best practice equal employment opportunity principles in all aspects of our recruitment and our ways of working.
Benefits you can expect:
- Full training and ongoing support will be provided including ongoing professional development opportunities
- Become part of a passionate local team of humanitarians and be supported by your colleagues (staff and volunteer members)
- Enjoy working for a well-respected humanitarian organisation.
We are looking for someone who will be passionate about working with communities in the wider Northland/Te Taitokerau region. You would be great for this role if you have prior experience in engaging with communities in Northland/Te Taitokerau. If you have an understanding of, and a commitment to Te Ao Māori and experience in engaging with local iwi and tangata whenua you would also be a good fit for this role.
New Zealand Red Cross is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity. We welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds.
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for further information, please contact Alina Mancini, at New Zealand Red Cross at Alina.Mancini@redcross.org.nz
Applications close 5PM, Sunday October 2020.APPLY NOW