What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Cross Cultural Worker - Auckland
We have an exciting opportunity for a Cross Cultural Worker to support Rohingyan former refugees under the refugee quota to settle in the Auckland region.
Red Cross is the world's largest humanitarian organisation, working together towards our mission to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilising the power of humanity and enhancing community resilience.
New Zealand Red Cross is a New Zealand wide organisation with over 14,500 members and 500 staff.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce and adhere to best practice equal employment opportunity principles in all aspects of our recruitment and our ways of working.
Auckland region / Casual
As part of the largest humanitarian aid organisation in the world, New Zealand Red Cross plays a vital role in providing assistance to vulnerable people in New Zealand and overseas. New Zealand Red Cross is an organisation with 15,000 volunteering memebers and 450 staff.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Cross Cultural Worker to support Rohingyan former refugees under the refugee quota to settle in the Auckland region
Through the provision of both cultural and linguistic support this position will work alongside the Auckland social workers, resettlement caseworkers, cultural advisor and volunteering members to assist the new families in their resettlement.
In this role you will:
- Ensure that refugee families are able to communicate in the NZ environment.
- Facilitate understanding of NZ society for refugees, and the culture of the refugees for those supporting them in NZ.
- Ensure that appropriate linkages are made to service providers.
- Advocate for refugee clients in the NZ social context.
- Provide language support to resettlement key workers.
We encourage you to apply for this role if you:
- Speak, read and write Rohingya and English (essential)
- Are able to provide resettlement support to newly refugees without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, disabilities, gender or political opinions
- Rohingya speaking background
- Can provide competent and accurate cross language support both verbally and written
- Are a former refugee or have knowledge and experience of the refugee journey and resettlement experience
- Live in the Auckland region and have a good understanding of local services available to former refugees
- Have a good understanding of both the New Zealand and Rohingya culture and way of life
- Have knowledge of confidentiality and privacy act practices
- A full clean drivers licence is an advantage
Previous experience and understanding in working with refugee women and women's issues will be an advantage.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce and adhere to best practice equal employment opportunity principles in all aspects of our recruitment and our ways of working
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for further information, please contact Dawit Arshak at New Zealand Red Cross on 021 228 2057.
Read the full job description here
Applications close at 5pm on 28th April 2019APPLY NOW