What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Cross Cultural Worker - Refugee Trauma Recovery (RTR) - Wellington
Refugee Trauma Recovery provides a range of specialised mental health services that minimise the impact of traumatic experiences on the mental health of refugee clients and their families. The aim is to enhance the ability of refugees to resettle within New Zealand.
New Zealand Red Cross is a member National Society of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), which is the world's largest humanitarian organization. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
New Zealand Red Cross plays a vital role in providing assistance to vulnerable people in New Zealand and overseas whose lives have become vulnerable through conflict, disaster or circumstance.
We are an organisation with over 10,000 voluntary members and 450 staff and we have an exciting opportunity for an experienced qualified counsellor or psychotherapist).
This position: Refugee Trauma Recovery provides a range of specialised mental health services that minimise the impact of traumatic experiences on the mental health of refugee clients and their families. The aim is to enhance the ability of refugees to resettle within New Zealand.
The Cross-Cultural Worker will come from a refugee background and will work alongside the Clinical Team to provide mental health support services to refugees of all ages who have experienced the trauma of war and torture, of refugee life and displacement. This will include psychosocial assessments, care plans, risk management and case management. The Cross-Cultural Worker may also provide cultural consultation, liaison, training and support to RTR team members and to other agencies that have refugee clients.
The Cross-Cultural worker may assist clinical team members with group programmes that enhance the core counselling service.
In this role you will:
- With the RTR team, provide clients with culturally appropriate, goal-focused interventions
- Work with appropriate agencies and ensure effective linkages are made with the client
- Provide cultural support to internally referred clients and assisting clients to establish culturally appropriate and supportive networks in their communities
- Provide cultural advice and feedback to RTR Clinical Team members on the needs of identified clients
- Advocate on behalf of clients to ensure full access to rights, services and resources
- Encourage former refugee communities to initiate self-care programmes
- With the RTR team provide cultural awareness education, training and support to agencies working with RTR clients.
We encourage you to apply for this role if you have:
- A relevant qualification in mental health support work or related field
- The ability to work cross-culturally, including rapport building with clients of different ethnic backgrounds
- Are from a refugee background or have a sound understanding of the refugee experience
- The ability to speak either Arabic or Spanish is an advantage
- Empathy and understanding of trauma processes, grief and loss issues, mental health disorders and issues including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, and somatisation of symptoms
- Training and presentation skills and the ability to transfer knowledge of refugee issues and therapeutic interventions to othersIn-depth experience in service delivery and direct client contact with families and individuals from a different cultural background
- Excellent networking and advocacy skills particularly with mainstream service providers: government and non-government agencies such as DHBs, Work and Income and Housing NZ
- Empathy with humanitarian causes
- Be enthusiastic and have the commitment to work as a team member of Red Cross
- A current motor vehicle driver's licence is essential.
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for further information, please contact Chris Clarke at New Zealand Red Cross (04) 8050361
Read the full job description here
Applications Close: 31 Oct 2018APPLY NOW