What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Disaster Management Officer
We have an exciting opportunity for a Disaster Management Officer to join our Disaster Risk Management team.
Red Cross is the world's largest humanitarian organisation, working together towards our mission to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilising the power of humanity and enhancing community resilience.
New Zealand Red Cross is a New Zealand-wide organisation with over 14,500 members and 500 staff.
Reporting to the Disaster Response Manager (Disaster Risk Management), this role is responsible for ensuring that New Zealand Red Cross has the capacity and capability to support communities and our partners in response to a disaster or other shock or stress. This includes providing leadership, support, and direction to New Zealand Red Cross’ people to ensure they are prepared to respond appropriately in the event of a disaster
Key priorities are:
- Leadership, support and direction to New Zealand Red Cross people to ensure preparedness for effective disaster response.
- Work closely with local and group level Civil Defence and Emergency Management (CDEM) groups to ensure a coordinated approach to disaster response
- Lead New Zealand Red Cross’ response to a disaster or other shock or stress in the relevant geographic area, including directing and supporting New Zealand Red Cross teams, and being rostered as a Duty Manager as required.
- Working closely with colleagues in the Response team, ensure appropriate support members across specialist/technical groups.
- Working with colleagues in the Response team, ensure coordinated support to members across the country including: recruitment, training, development and exercising.
We encourage you to apply for this role if you have the following experience and skills:
The person we are looking for has demonstrated expertise in delivering successful change in complex organisations, through the lens of comprehensive best practice people services:
- At least three years’ experience of leading, supporting, coaching, recruiting and training volunteers.
- At least three years’ experience or working in an emergency management context, whether in disaster readiness/resilience, response or recovery.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with people for diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to thrive under pressure.
- Understanding of tikanga and the relevance of the Treaty of Waitangi to the work being undertaken.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce and adhere to best practice equal employment opportunity principles in all aspects of our recruitment and our ways of working.
To download the job description for this position please click the 'Apply Now' button to be taken to the New Zealand Red Cross Careers page.
All applications MUST include a covering letter and CV. If you wish to discuss this opportunity please contact Jackie Bubb at Jackie.Bubb@redcross.org.nz.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to be considered for this job.
Applications close at 5pm, 16 February 2020. Interviews will take place from 24-26 February 2020.APPLY NOW