What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Red Cross Shops
Toa Rīpeka Whero
- Get involved Donate
Resettlement Caseworker and Cultural Advisor
We have an exciting opportunity for an Resettlement Caseworker and Cultural Advisor to join our team in Invercargill.
Resettlement Casework and Cultural Advisor (Invercargill)
- Permanent, full time position
As part of the largest humanitarian aid organisation in the world, New Zealand Red Cross plays a vital role in providing assistance to vulnerable people in New Zealand and overseas. New Zealand Red Cross is an organisation with 10,000 volunteers and 400 staff.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Resettlement Caseworker with personal experience as a refugee and a comprehensive understanding of the refugee resettlement process.
The purpose of the Cultural Advisor is to assist newly arrived refugee families from different ethnic backgrounds (initially Colombia) with practical aspects of their initial resettlement; provide linkages to relevant mainstream and community based services and organisations; and assist families to understand how things work in New Zealand and in and around their new homes.
This senior role contributes to the development of Red Cross as a competent professional cross cultural agency by providing support and mentoring for new cross cultural workers and cultural advice and a former refugee perspective to the local leadership team.
The Resettlement Case Worker and Cultural Advisor also coordinates orientation programmes in the community.
In this role you will:
- Provide generalist casework services to newly arrived refugee families from diverse ethnic backgrounds
- Provide language (Spanish) and cultural support alongside resettlement case workers and social workers as required
- Provide support, training and mentoring to new cross cultural workers to promote best practice
- Coordinate the orientation programme in the community
- Contribute to opportunities for raising public awareness of the refugee experience
- Contribute to development and training of mainstream service providers to promote full accessibility for clients
- Provide a cross cultural perspective and leadership to the wider Red Cross team
We encourage you to apply for this role if you have:
- Experience in refugee resettlement and/or the social service, health or rehabilitation sectors
- Relevant diploma or tertiary qualification (desirable)
- Experience in cross cultural service delivery and direct client contact with families and individuals who are marginalised, preferably from refugee backgrounds
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Good understanding of the New Zealand system and local social services
- Ability to relate to, support and negotiate with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds
- Advanced computer skills, including Excel, Word, email and database systems
- Effective communication and relationship skills to network, establish and maintain effective partnerships
Applicants for this position should have New Zealand residency or a valid New Zealand work visa.
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for further information, please contact Sue Price at New Zealand Red Cross on 027 512 1781.
Applications close: 30 Oct 2017Apply now