What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Settlement Lead - Invercargill
We have an exciting opportunity in Invercargill for a Settlement Lead with a comprehensive understanding of the refugee settlement process.
Red Cross is the world's largest humanitarian organisation, working together towards our mission to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilising the power of humanity and enhancing community resilience.
New Zealand Red Cross is a New Zealand wide organisation with over 14,500 members and 500 staff.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce and adhere to best practice equal employment opportunity principles in all aspects of our recruitment and our ways of working.
The purpose of the Settlement Lead is to assist newly arrived refugee families from Colombia with practical aspects of their initial settlement; provide linkages to relevant mainstream and community based services and organisations; and assist families to understand how things work in New Zealand and in and around their new homes.
This senior role contributes to the development of Red Cross as a competent professional cross cultural agency by providing support and mentoring for new cross cultural workers and cultural advice and a former refugee perspective to the local leadership team.
The Settlement Lead also coordinates orientation programmes in the community.
In this role you will:
- Provide generalist casework services to newly arrived refugee families from Colombia
- Provide language (Spanish) and cultural support alongside settlement case workers and social workers as required
- Provide support, training and mentoring to new cross cultural workers to promote best practice
- Coordinate the orientation programme in the community
- Contribute to opportunities for raising public awareness of the refugee experience
- Contribute to development and training of mainstream service providers to promote full accessibility for clients
- Provide a cross cultural perspective and leadership to the wider Red Cross team
We encourage you to apply for this role if you:
- Experience in refugee settlement and/or the social service, health or rehabilitation sectors
- Relevant diploma or tertiary qualification (desirable)
- Experience in cross cultural service delivery and direct client contact with families and individuals who are marginalised, preferably from refugee backgrounds
- Are fluent in English and Spanish
- Good understanding of the New Zealand system and local social services
- Ability to relate to, support and negotiate with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds
- Advanced computer skills, including Excel, Word, email and database systems
- Effective communication and relationship skills to network, establish and maintain effective partnerships
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for further information, please contact Gavin Booth at New Zealand Red Cross email@example.com.
To download the job description and to apply for this position please click the 'Apply Now' button to be taken to the New Zealand Red Cross Careers page.
All applications MUST be submitted online. Applications close 5pm, Sunday 5 April 2020.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to be considered for this job.APPLY NOW