What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- In New Zealand
- Community programmes
- Disaster risk management
- First Aid courses and education
- International humanitarian law
- Meals on Wheels
- Migration programmes
- Restoring Family Links
- Red Cross Parcels
- COVID-19: We are in this together
- New Zealand Red Cross Youth Engagement Strategy
- Red Cross Appeal 2021
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Dragon Boat Festival 2021
Join Team Red Cross and compete in the iconic Dragon Boat Festival in Wellington!
We are looking for paddlers to join our Dragon Boat Festival team in Wellington. No previous experience in dragon boating is required.
What you'll get out of it
- A unique experience paddling in the Wellington harbour
- An awesome Red Cross sports t-shirt
- Lunch and a Red Cross goodie bag on race day
- Free training and entry into the race (usually approx $10,000 per team)
- Great team spirit and new friends
- Lots of support to help you fundraise like a pro
- Eight weeks training (one evening per week) starting mid-January 2020
- Race day on Saturday 6 March 2021
- Fundraising minimum target of $500
- A fun attitude!
When we each do a little bit of good, together we can make a big difference. Each year, Team Red Cross raise an amazing $10,000 to help people in need. There is a $25 registration fee per paddler as a contribution to the fundraising.
All the money raised by Team Red Cross goes towards New Zealand Red Cross doing good in communities here and overseas.
If you want to help vulnerable people affected by disaster, conflict or social isolation then jump on board.
This event is popular so sign up quick to avoid disappointment!
How do I join the team?
If you are interested in joining the team, get in touch with Getfundraising@redcross.org.nz to join the wait list.
Watch Team Red Cross in action.
- Watch this video on Dragon Boat techniques presented by Serghei Cucsa for the Australian Dragon Boat Federation (AusDBF).
- Watch this video to see an excellent example of body action during paddling. Note that the waka ama paddle has its blade angled forward by 15-20 degrees.
- Download the two apps, Plank Workout - 30 Days Plank Challenge Free and Six Pack in 30 Days - Abs Workout to strengthen your core.