What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- New Zealand Red Cross appoints new Secretary General
- Lake Ōhau fire: Providing emotional support to survivors
- Serving up a lifesaving effort in Waikato
- Red Cross and the Hurricanes invite you to join the Good and Ready Photo Challenge
- Bringing ‘hope in a box’ to Kiwis in need
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Taste of Cultures 2020: Christchurch - Saturday 7 November
- Date: Saturday 7 November
- Time: 6pm-10pm
- Venue: Ilex, Christchurch Botanic Gardens
- Individual guest: $200
- Table of ten: $1,900
- Included in ticket: A four-course bespoke meal, presentations and performances from our four main refugee communities in Christchurch: Syria, Somalia, Afghanistan, and Eritrea. Enjoy tea ceremonies, music and dancing from some of the most skilled artists and newest kiwis.
Secure your ticket now
Taste of Cultures is a New Zealand Red Cross event that celebrates cultural diversity through food and performance and will be held in Ōtautahi Christchurch for the first time on Saturday 7 November. Now in its third year, Taste of Cultures was originally inspired by our recipe book containing a collection of recipes from around the world by people from a refugee background now living in New Zealand.
Refugees are ordinary people facing extraordinary circumstances. They have experienced war, persecution, discrimination, racism and oppression. They've been forced to flee from their homeland because of nothing more than their ethnicity, religion or beliefs. Refugees have been denied basic human rights in their country of origin and are unable to safely return home.
Enjoy a cultural and culinary experience
The bespoke menu is designed in collaboration with former refugees in Christchurch and chefs to feature a course from each of the four nationalities - Somalia, Eritrea, Afghanistan and Syria - that have been resettled in Christchurch since it became a resettlement location less than two years ago. Christchurch has been through a lot in recent years, and we are very excited to be putting on this event that celebrates diversity in our community and raises money for the work of New Zealand Red Cross. As well as a four-course meal, guests will enjoy musical performances, guest speakers and a special Ethiopian coffee ceremony.
The event will seat 100 guests and be held at the beautiful Ilex Events Space, situated along the banks of the Avon River and among the 150-year old Holm Oaks at the centre of the world-renowned Botanic Garden site. The event is generously supported by Good Company (chefs/catering), Countdown and Pegasus Bay Winery.
If you have any questions please get in touch on 0800 733 2767 (RED CROSS) or Getfundraising@redcross.org.nz.