What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- New Zealand Red Cross responds to Nelson fires
- Red Cross welcomes government’s announcement of new refugee settlement locations
- Health worker blog: Christmas at Kutupalong
- New Zealand Red Cross welcomes government’s decision to sign Global Compact for Migration
- A scholarship to build the future
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Disaster welfare and support team volunteer
Our disaster welfare and support teams respond to emergencies in communities across New Zealand.
Our disaster welfare and support teams are made up of highly committed, multi-skilled emergency service volunteers. They have a wide variety of professional backgrounds, delivering essential services during and immediately following a disaster.
Team members train regularly. They will mostly train and respond to emergencies in their local area, but may travel throughout New Zealand supporting other Red Cross teams when needed. Our response teams are trained in a variety of skills, from first aid to ground-based rescue, which benefit both themselves and the New Zealand community.
You'll find our teams in our state-of-the-art disaster welfare and support vehicles, providing support and disaster services to affected communities. You’ll find them in Civil Defence centres – they’re the friendly faces looking after you and your family – and you’ll find them on the ground, mucking in and getting on with the job.