What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Red Cross Shops
Toa Rīpeka Whero
- Get involved Donate
Red Cross is encouraging Kiwis to take a walk in someone else’s shoes this winter to support people in need.
Red Cross Journey, a new fundraising event running this May, challenges people to follow the real-life journey of a volunteer responding to a disaster or a former refugee seeking safety.
Participants have a month to walk the distance of their chosen journey while raising funds to support people in need. Along the way, they’ll learn more about disaster response or refugee resettlement in New Zealand.
Funds raised will support the work Red Cross does to help people in need in Aotearoa and around the world.
What you need to know:
- Red Cross Journey runs from 8 May to 8 June, but registrations are now open. Sign up here.
- Choose your journey and get walking! Follow Red Cross volunteer Kath as she responds to a disaster or get a team together to follow the Tamim family’s journey to a safer life. You’ll be walking 240kms throughout the month. Any steps you take during your day (walking the dog, playing basketball/rugby, dancing) can count towards your total distance. However, activities like biking, swimming or paddling that don't involve steps cannot be counted for Red Cross Journey.
- Use an app on your smartphone to measure the steps you’ve walked during the day and enter your total on your Red Cross Journey page. If you don’t have a smartphone, you can calculate the kilometres you’ve walked and enter this distance instead.
- Red Cross Journey is accessible to everyone. If you are less able to walk, you can do the journey in the usual way you get around (apart from driving). Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- Red Cross works right across New Zealand – responding to disasters like the Kaikoura earthquake, supporting former refugees, delivering Meals on Wheels, teaching first aid to children and so much more! By raising money through Red Cross Journey, you’ll be helping Red Cross do good things in your community.