What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- The perfect match: connecting employers with the right people
- Heavy machinery and mental health: hard conversations made easier
- Visitor Care Manaaki Manuhiri: “There were lots of shaky moments”
- Cheesy grins all day long in Bluff
- Visitor Care Manaaki Manuhiri: “It was a really desperate situation”
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Regular attendees Brian Ibell and Nola Wong are looking forward to the 2017 sale.
Brian Ibell’s top tip is to “have a lot patience”, which has led to him finding many books that are out of print. He says the book sale “is the only place you can find them. As a former teacher, I look out for books by Sid Fleischman, like “By the Great Horn Spoon!” a children’s book set in the Californian gold rush. I’m also into gardening books, even the really old ones, as a lot of them don’t date.” Brian looks out for items for his family too, picking up sheet music for his son who plays in the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra.
Nola Wong, who returns to the sale year on year, is looking forward to hunting for books about the war in Afghanistan, to add to her collection of war books.
Every year in the week prior to the sale, volunteers from around the city sort through thousands of books, jigsaws, DVDs, games and more, so that people can easily find what they’re after. This year the sale will have a dual focus, with books and other items on sale at Barber Hall and at the new Red Cross book shop in Palmerston North.
Book sale details
1. Barber Hall, Waldegrave Street, Palmerston North.
2. People can also take a short walk to our book shop, 245 Main Street (opposite the Railway Land), for more books. The shop's opening hours will be extended for the book sale.
What's on offer:
Books, puzzles, games, sheet music, CDs, records, DVDs, maps, posters, knitting patterns.
To help you out on the day
Floor plan of Barber Hall:
More about our book shop
Our Palmerston North book shop is open all year round, so you don’t need to wait for the book sale to grab a bargain. Find out more about the store's opening hours and times.