What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- New Zealand Red Cross appoints new Secretary General
- Lake Ōhau fire: Providing emotional support to survivors
- Serving up a lifesaving effort in Waikato
- Red Cross and the Hurricanes invite you to join the Good and Ready Photo Challenge
- Bringing ‘hope in a box’ to Kiwis in need
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Our response to COVID-19 in Aotearoa
At New Zealand Red Cross, we are working hard to keep Kiwis safe. This work covers a broad range of activities and we are very aware of the need to ensure that each one of these is carefully managed to ensure that the people we support, and our own members and staff, are protected. We are closely monitoring and evaluating the situation in order to make timely decisions about how we operate.
We want you to know that you can expect three things from us: transparency, kindness, and a continued dedication to do our bit as humanitarians to support people in need.
How you can help
Your support is needed now more than ever. We are ramping up our response effort to make sure we are providing support to those who need it most during COVID-19 here and around the world.
Donate to support us to deliver essential services to vulnerable people during COVID-19.
Volunteering is also another way you can help. If you are keen to get involved and are not in a high-risk category, get in touch with your local team to find out how you can help.
Looking after yourself and others
COVID-19 affects everyone differently. Taking some time to look after ourselves and others can make a big difference.
Find out more about looking after yourself and others.
First Aid Training and Psychosocial Support
We know that tending to the emotional and social wellbeing of a community is key to recovery from a crisis. That’s why we’ve been developing Psychological First Aid training to help Kiwis build their skills in this area.
If you want to learn more about Psychological First Aid check out resources here.
We’ve done this before, we can do it again
When New Zealand first went into lockdown a few months back, New Zealand Red Cross continued to provide essential services and support where it’s needed most.
Members of the New Zealand Red Cross whānau were on the ground, helping Kiwis in lots of different ways, doing things like:
- Delivering around 11,000 meals every week through our Meals on Wheels programme.
- Delivering medical supplies from pharmacies to vulnerable people thanks to disaster response volunteers.
- Providing regular remote check-ins to more than 350 former refugee families across the country.
- Translating the Ministry of Health's COVID-19 messaging into 15 different languages.
- Helping health professionals at community-based assessment centres
- Helping connect people internationally who have lost contact with family members due to COVID-19
- Sharing safety messages with communities.
- Providing resources to support emotional and social wellbeing.
- Providing online training in Psychological First Aid.
Update on our servicesLast updated 12 August 2020
Disaster Risk Management
Visitor Care Manaaki Manuhiri
Red Cross Shops