What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Our response to COVID-19 in Aotearoa
As New Zealand moves to Alert Level 2 we will continue to provide essential services and support where its needed most.
Members of the New Zealand Red Cross whānau are on the ground, helping Kiwis in lots of different ways. We’re doing things like:
- Delivering around 11,000 meals every week through our Meals on Wheels programme.
- Delivering medical supplies from pharmacies to vulnerable people thanks to disaster response volunteers.
- Providing regular remote check-ins to more than 350 former refugee families across the country.
- Translating the Ministry of Health's COVID-19 messaging into 15 different languages.
- Helping health professionals at community-based assessment centres
- Helping connect people internationally who have lost contact with family members due to COVID-19
- Sharing safety messages with communities.
- Providing resources to support emotional and social wellbeing.
- Providing online training in Psychological First Aid.
Find out more about our response to COVID-19 here.
How you can help vulnerable people during this time
You might not have seen us on the street recently, but we need your support now more than ever. We are ramping up our response effort to make sure we are providing support to those who need it most during COVID-19 here and around the world.
Donate to support us to deliver essential services to vulnerable people during COVID-19.
Volunteering is also another way you can help. At Alert Level 2 those who weren't able to volunteer during Level 4 and 3, are now able to choose to if they wish, so long as they feel confident that their own wellbeing will not be at risk.
Looking after yourself and others
COVID-19 will affect us all differently. Taking some time to look after ourselves and others can make a big difference. While we all have to limit physical contact, it's still important to do what you can to stay connected to others.
Find out more about looking after yourself and others.
First Aid Training and Psychosocial Support
We know that tending to the emotional and social wellbeing of a community is key to recovery from a crisis. That’s why we’ve been developing Psychological First Aid training to help Kiwis build their skills in this area.
If you want to learn more about Psychological First Aid check out resources here.
Update on our services
Disaster Risk Management
Red Cross Shops
Click here to find out how we're helping Kiwis during COVID-19.
Thanks from the Governor-General of New Zealand
New Zealand Red Cross was honoured to received a letter of recognition from our Patron, Her Excellency The Right Honourable Dame Patsy Reddy, Governor-General of New Zealand. In this letter she congratulates us for the great work we have done to support the community during COVID-19, on behalf of all New Zealanders. Read the letter here.