What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- New Zealand Red Cross responds to Nelson fires
- Red Cross welcomes government’s announcement of new refugee settlement locations
- Health worker blog: Christmas at Kutupalong
- New Zealand Red Cross welcomes government’s decision to sign Global Compact for Migration
- A scholarship to build the future
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Our Rise Up programme helps young people build confidence and develop skills through adventure.
How does it work?
Rise Up is an adventure programme hosted by New Zealand Red Cross in Palmerston North. Held during the summer holidays, the programme gives students the chance to 'rise up' through challenges that build self confidence and develop new skills. Participants use problem solving and teamwork skills to take part in a range of activities, from camping, participating in a fire service exercise to jumping off a wharf.
Aimed at 10 to 12 year olds, the programme takes place over four days and three nights. It combines a mix of outdoor education skills as well as modules to help young people along their future path. The New Zealand Fire Service, New Zealand Police, Surf Life Saving New Zealand and the New Zealand Army help us deliver the programme.
Why Rise Up?
Rise Up helps young people:
- Build self confidence and learn to work with others, including those of different generations.
- Develop skills including problem solving, decision making, communication, planning and teamwork.
- Interact with positive role models.
- Get to know a selection of service organisations that could be future career options.
The programme also helps coordinate service-providing partners and builds sustainable local relationships. It builds healthy relationships between teenagers and local agencies and services.
Who can take part?
We are looking for students who can fit one or more of these criteria:
- Come from low socio-economic situations
- Have low self-esteem or are shy
- Have experienced drastic changes in personality
- Lack positive role models
- Are bullied or are bullying others
- Struggle in school academically
- Have experienced family instability
- Have excessive responsibility for their age
- Have been identified as being 'at risk', due to exposure to offending
- Have no serious behavioural issues.
Find out more
To find out more about Rise Up, please contact our Palmerston North Service Centre on 06 356 8152 or email@example.com
You can also contact our Gisborne Service Centre on 06 867 6616 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Rise Up is currently only offered in the Palmerston North and Gisborne areas, but may be expanded in the future.