Volunteer retail assistant
Volunteer in a Red Cross Shop and support our work helping communities both here and overseas.
Our 50 shops across the country sell mainly second-hand clothing and household items. They provide affordable shopping for the community, funding for our humanitarian work, and support sustainability through recycling unwanted items.
Your volunteer role in a Red Cross Shop will include:
- Unpacking and sorting goods.
- Greeting and serving customers.
- Restocking and merchandising the shop.
Volunteer requirements and training
We need friendly people with good communication skills and a can-do attitude. An eye for design is always a bonus.
You’ll receive on-the-job training, and we can help you get your Certificate in Retail from Service IQ. This programme is free and available to volunteers who have been with us for 3 months. It takes 6-9 months and can cover Level 2 to Level 4.
Health, Safety and Wellbeing (HSW)
- Make sure your actions (or lack of actions) don’t harm your health, safety and wellbeing, or harm anyone else.
- Take part in a HSW induction, training, programmes and activities.
- Follow all instructions given to you about health, safety and wellbeing
- Follow all NZRC HSW policies, standards and procedures about health, safety and wellbeing.
- Make sure you have the right training for any activities you are doing.
- Use personal protective equipment (PPE) for any work activities that may need it to stay safe.
- If you spot a hazard, or you are involved in an incident or near miss, report this straight away.