What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- World First Aid Day 2021 #EverydayHeroes
- Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis | FAQ
- New Zealand Red Cross is calling for support from Kiwis to help ease the suffering of those most impacted by COVID-19 across the Pacific
- Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis
- New Zealand Red Cross continues to provide essential services under COVID-19 Alert Level 4
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Mother Hubbard's cupboard
Mother Hubbard's Cupboard was an initiative of JRC to provide food, toys and clothes for children in need.
The fund was set up in the late 1920s, just before the depression hit New Zealand. JRC circles would fundraise to buy supplies to sew clothes, buy toys and stock the cupboard so that at Christmas time they could help bring smiles to children around New Zealand.
The Wellington annual reports were full of praise for the initiative and the hard work of the JRC circles.
"It gives me great pleasure in writing to you to thank you for your wonderful kindness to me in helping me take my five children away for a much needed holiday in Titahi Bay."
"Just a few lines to try and convey to you the thanks I feel for the kindness and consideration and the many presents received during Christmas. But for your kindness the children would not have had any presents or nice things for Christmas."
"I thank you for the parcel of clothes and toys. My little girl, 3 years old, asked me not to take her dress off to go to bed as 'Mummy, I love it,' she said."