What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- World First Aid Day 2021 #EverydayHeroes
- Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis | FAQ
- New Zealand Red Cross is calling for support from Kiwis to help ease the suffering of those most impacted by COVID-19 across the Pacific
- Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis
- New Zealand Red Cross continues to provide essential services under COVID-19 Alert Level 4
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Pacific shopping lists
“Shopping lists” were created by Moya McTamney, one of New Zealand Red Cross' Pacific field officers in 1977.
Moya would make on-the-spot assessments of small, practical items needed by Pacific Island countries. Centres and branches could then choose from the list what item they wanted to donate.
The Pacific shopping lists were a particular favourite of the Junior Red Cross circles. One of the items donated by New Zealand Red Cross to Vanuatu Red Cross (as seen in the photo above) was a blood analyser, which increased the speed and accuracy of technicians’ work.
The public and Red Cross also gave generously to an appeal for second-hand glasses from Vanuatu Red Cross Society.