What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- Building lasting connections through Meals on Wheels
- Global support saves lives as India battles second COVID-19 wave
- Meals on Wheels: 70 years of love and care across Aotearoa
- Volunteers: Red Cross’ most important and unique asset
- Red Cross responds to weather events across the North Island
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Governance and leadership
Find out how Red Cross is structured, meet our senior leadership team and Board members
Members make up our local branches and groups. Members also come together to form our area councils. Area councils from each region have representatives at National Council. The National Council elects our National Board, which governs our organisation.
Along with governance, the National Board also appoints our Secretary General. Our Secretary General appoints staff, who support members as they volunteer, deliver services, raise money and promote the work we do. Our National Youth Panel represent a youth perspective at a governance level.
- Kerry Nickels, National President
- Pip Stewart, National Vice President
- Sarita Aldred, Youth Representative
- John Dyer
- Warren Johnstone
- Sue Ineson
- Wendy Lau
- Scott Tambisari
- Patrick Cummings
Executive Leadership Team:
- Sarah Stuart-Black - Secretary General
- Anne Smith - GM Commercial and Shared Services
- Vivienne Euini - GM International (Acting)
- Rachel O'Connor - GM Migration
- Angela Sutherland - GM Disaster Risk Management
- Shaun Greaves - GM Humanitarian Development
- Angela Calkin Goeres - GM Communications, Marketing, Fundraising (Acting)
- Shane Chisholm - Strategy Delivery Manager
Meet our Secretary General
Sarah Stuart-Black joined New Zealand Red Cross in December 2020 as our Secretary General
We are very pleased to have Sarah (Norm) Stuart-Black join us as our Secretary General, replacing Niamh Lawless who has a new role at the International Federation of the Red Cross in Geneva. Prior to joining New Zealand Red Cross, Sarah was Deputy Chief Executive and Director Civil Defence Emergency Management in the New Zealand Government's National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) advising the Minister of Civil Defence.
Sarah played a significant role in New Zealand’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic as well as other major emergency responses and she has provided leadership during a transition process within NEMA.
As well as bringing this significant and relevant experience to New Zealand Red Cross, Sarah has extensive experience at an executive level nationally and internationally. Sarah has had a diverse range of experience within New Zealand and England, as well as Ethiopia, Niue and the Solomon Islands. She was a member of the United Nations Disaster Assessment & Coordination Team for nine years and has represented New Zealand at a variety of international forums, bilateral, regional and global meetings, exercises and forums. Sarah has published a number of papers in international journals and has co-edited three books.
Meet our President
Kerry Nickels became our President in November 2018
Kerry Nickels is a lawyer who has held legal, governance and commercial roles in retail, utilities and financial businesses. She joined the New Zealand Red Cross National Board in November 2015 and was voted in as President in November 2018.
“As the call to assist vulnerable people here and overseas increases, it is encouraging to see the dedication and generosity of our Red Cross people. Further opportunities and challenges will arise as the world changes, but I am sure we will still be assisting vulnerable people in the next century.”