What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Employment Assessor Advisor
We have an exciting opportunity for a Part-time Employment Assessor/Advisor to join our Refugee Pathways to Employment programme.
As part of the largest humanitarian aid organisation in the world, New Zealand Red Cross plays a vital role in providing assistance to vulnerable people in New Zealand and overseas. New Zealand Red Cross is an organisation with 10,000 volunteers and 400 staff.
The purpose of the Employment Assessor/Advisor role is to carry out in-depth, individualised, client-centred assessments in order to create a career and employment plan with recommendations and timeframes. A key task is carrying out a full English language assessment that feeds into the plan and guides the referral recommendations.
The Assessor/Advisor works closely with other team members to achieve the best outcome for the client. They monitor the individual’s progress, revise career and employment plans, make referrals to other agencies and advocate on behalf of clients where necessary to support the advancement of their plan.
Essential to giving effective career and employment readiness advice is building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders in the employment and training/education sector.
In this role you will mainly:
- Carry out individual assessments of transferable work skills and personal attributes and collect information on educational and employment backgrounds. Support with developing CVs.
- Carry out English language skills assessments to feed into the employment plan
- Develop a plan with the client including clear training/education pathways leading to employment
- Network with training/education and service providers and employers in the region
- Work with relevant employers to grow employment opportunities for low skill, skilled and professional individuals from refugee backgrounds
- Make referrals to appropriate agencies and ensure effective linkages are made, including advocacy for access to services
- Demonstrate cross-cultural understanding both internally and externally
- Enter data into our Pathways to Employment database
We encourage you to apply for this role if you are able to demonstrate:
- Skill in second language teaching to adults and experience of assessing language competencies (required)
- Understanding of the English language requirements and skills required to study at a NZ tertiary institution (desirable)
- The ability to guide career planning
- Excellent IT skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Awareness of NZ employers’ priorities and familiarity with employment sectors in the region
- Confidence in assessing work readiness and preparing individuals for job search activities
- Competence in intercultural communication and experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Understanding of the refugee journey and common issues faced during the resettlement process
- Tertiary education in relevant field (required)
- An English language teaching or applied linguistics qualification (Required)
- Membership of a professional organisation in a relevant field, such as Career Development Association of NZ (CDANZ) or TESOLANZ (desirable)
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for further information, please contact Jarrah Cook at 0274057892.
To download the job description and to apply for this position please click the 'Apply Now' button to be taken to the New Zealand Red Cross Careers page.
All applications MUST be submitted online. Applications close 5pm, Sunday 17 May 2020.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to be considered for this job.APPLY NOW