What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- 2011 Canterbury Earthquake 10-year Anniversary Survey: Understanding the Recovery Journey
- “Red Cross is always there”
- Visitor Care Manaaki Manuhiri: “The support removed my financial and mental stress”
- The perfect system
- Napier flood: Finding a warm, dry and safe place
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Settlement Case Worker - Invercargill | Fixed-term
We have an exciting opportunity for a fixed-term Settlement Case Worker to join our team in Invercargill.
Settlement Case Worker
Refugee Settlement Programme Invercargill
Fixed term, fulltime until 30 June 2021
Red Cross is the world's largest humanitarian organisation, working together towards our mission to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilising the power of humanity and enhancing community resilience.
New Zealand Red Cross is a New Zealand wide organisation with over 14,500 members and 500 staff.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce and adhere to best practice equal employment opportunity principles in all aspects of our recruitment and our ways of working.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Settlement Case Worker in our Pathways to Settlement programme to support former refugees who will arrive in Invercargill through the refugee quota.
The position is fixed term and fulltime until 30 June 2021.
This position will work alongside the Invercargill social workers, caseworkers and volunteers to assist the new families in their resettlement.
In this role you will:
- Provide generalist casework services to newly arrived refugee families from Colombia
- Provide language (Spanish) and cultural support alongside other settlement case workers and social workers as required
- Assist with the orientation programme in the community
- Make referrals to appropriate agencies and ensure effective linkages are made
- Contribute to opportunities for raising public awareness of the refugee experience
- Provide a cross cultural perspective to the wider Red Cross team
- Advocate for former refugee clients in the New Zealand social context
- Contribute to the ongoing development of settlement work in New Zealand Red Cross
We encourage you to apply for this role if you:
- Are a former refugee (preferred)
- Have fluency in Spanish and English languages
- Are able to relate to, support and negotiate with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds
- Have a good understanding of the New Zealand system and local social services
- Have knowledge of confidentiality and privacy act practices
- Have knowledge and experience of the refugee journey and settlement experience
- Have advanced computer skills, including Excel, Word, email and database systems
- Have excellent time management skills
- Have excellent oral, listening and written communication skills
- Are enthusiastic and have the commitment to work as a team member of NZRC
- Have a full driver’s licence
If you wish to discuss this opportunity please contact Gavin Booth at 027 644 7327, Otherwise click apply now for the job description and online application process.
Applications close 5pm, 7 December 2020.APPLY NOW