What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- A hand up for tomorrow’s engineers
- Media Release | Bids replace buckets in New Zealand Red Cross annual appeal
- Always there in times of disaster – Westport floods
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross says thanks a million for donating to support the people of Tonga
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross supporting emergency response on the West Coast
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Red Cross Appeal 2022
The Red Cross Appeal is our biggest fundraiser of the year. It runs for the entire month of March.
Our appeal theme for 2022 was 'give hope today' acknowledging that Red Cross is a symbol of hope for many. By 'giving hope today', donations help us give practical and emotional support to people when they need it most.
This year’s Red Cross Annual Appeal would not have been possible without the support of all Red Cross people - our members, those who volunteer their time, our staff, and corporate supporters.
Our appeal ran a bit differently this year, without our usual physical street collection due to Covid-19. This challenge was turned into an opportunity to be creative, and we were supported in a range of ways:
- Online donations through our website
- Online auctions for fantastic goods and services on Chooza
- Our volunteers ran inventive socially-distanced fundraising events
- Our volunteers organised online fundraisers hosted on Raisely
- Our corporate partners donated and raised funds
Thank you to everyone who contributed to making the 2022 Annual Appeal so successful – we couldn’t achieve any of this without you. Your contributions will help us to continue supporting people in their hour of need.
Why is the Annual Appeal so important
We know emergencies can happen anywhere and at any time. Our communities are often hit hard by the consequences – individuals are impacted, homes, schools and workplaces are damaged, access and transportation is disrupted, communities and networks are displaced.
An important part of our disaster preparedness is making sure we have the financial resources we need to respond quickly. While Kiwis often donate very generously following an emergency, we need to make sure we have funds available before that so we can immediately help when people need us most.
Donations also go towards connecting separated loved ones, providing much-needed emotional support and ensuring essential services, such as Meals on Wheels, continue to reach those in need.
FAQs for the Red Cross Appeal 2022
Red Cross is a registered charity and is hugely reliant on the generosity of people like you. We pride ourselves on our transparency and making sure the funds we receive from appeals go to where the need is greatest. For more information refer to the Red Cross Appeal 2022 FAQs.
We look forward to planning our 2023 Appeal. If you are looking to support us before then check out Where The Need Is Greatest.