Volunteer Meals on Wheels coordinator
The Meals on Wheels Volunteer coordinator is responsible for running the Meals on Wheels Service and oversees the volunteer team. You ensure that all deliveries have a driver, and are well organised.
The primary purpose of Meals on Wheels is to support the elderly, the ill and people with a disability, living at home who would otherwise struggle to provide healthy meals for themselves. The secondary function of the service is to provide regular social contact for people receiving meals – many of whom are isolated.
- Be the main point of contact for the hospital and back-up contact for the Meals on Wheels drivers.
- Organise practice runs for new Meals on Wheels drivers and oversee training and onboarding of new volunteers
- Make sure Meals on Wheels drivers are aware of their obligations to health and safety and are equipped with the relevant information and guidelines to advise of any incidents and concerns relating to clients.
- Organize and participate in debriefing sessions.
Volunteer requirements and training
You’ll need to be a friendly person who has their own car and a full driver licence. We’ll train you in how to carry out the role and you’ll be supported by a Red Cross staff member and other volunteers.
This role would suit a person who enjoys taking initiative, working with other volunteers, has strong communication, leadership and organisational skills and is able to manage complexity.
Computer skills essential.
- Vehicle with valid registration (rego) and warrant of fitness (WoF)
- Valid driver's licence
- Two character references