Volunteer Meals on Wheels driver
Our Meals on Wheels service supports older, ill, and disabled people living at home who would otherwise struggle to provide healthy meals for themselves. We need volunteers keen to deliver hot meals and a friendly chat, to people in need across New Zealand.
Most of our drivers deliver meals once a week every two weeks, however shifts are flexible.
- Start your shift between 10:30am and 12pm.
- Pick up meals in your car.
- Deliver to clients and have a brief chat at the door.
- Go home feeling good that you’ve helped someone out today.
Volunteer requirements and training
You’ll need to be a friendly person who has their own car and a full driver licence. We’ll train you in how to carry out the role and you’ll be supported by Red Cross volunteers or staff members.
Information about access to Meals on Wheels
Anyone who wants Meals on Wheels first speaks to their GP or other health professional. They assess eligibility, and send a referral to New Zealand Red Cross.
- Valid driver's licence
- Vehicle with valid registration (rego) and warrant of fitness (WoF)
- Two character references