What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- Building lasting connections through Meals on Wheels
- Global support saves lives as India battles second COVID-19 wave
- Meals on Wheels: 70 years of love and care across Aotearoa
- Volunteers: Red Cross’ most important and unique asset
- Red Cross responds to weather events across the North Island
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Good and Ready volunteer
Become an advocate for emergency preparedness and planning in your community.
Let’s work together to build a resilient ‘Good and Ready Aotearoa’.
Thriving communities provide a safe place for people to feel a sense of belonging, to connect and share, and to feel accepted. By joining New Zealand Red Cross, you’ll be part of what makes Aotearoa great. You’ll help get your community more connected – good and ready for when the unexpected happens.
To assist your community in the event of an emergency, why not become a volunteer?
Volunteering expands your skills and experience and is a great way to stay active and engaged with your community. It's also a way for you to give back and assist people in their time of greatest need.
What does a ‘Good and Ready’ volunteer do?
Good and Ready volunteers support programmes associated with community resilience, disaster preparedness and the New Zealand Red Cross Disaster Welfare and Support Team (DWST) members. The aim is to build our capacity as early as now, so we can quickly respond as soon as the need arises.
- Become an advocate for emergency preparedness and planning.
- Promote community resilience and connect with people around you. Help provide a safe place for people to feel a sense of belonging, to connect and share, and to feel accepted.
- Be prepared to assist DWST in times of emergency or activation for a range of welfare activities.
How can I get involved?
No special qualifications are required to be a Good and Ready volunteer. We are seeking the following attributes:
- Over 18 years old
- Responsible and reliable
- Keen to be an advocate for emergency preparedness and community resilience
- Good communication skills
- Have a clean criminal record
- Great team player
- Can work under pressure/handle stressful situations
All Good and Ready volunteers who wish to be even more involved in this project can take advantage of further learning and development opportunities.
Good and Ready regions