What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- Huge Hanes new clothing donations a warm welcome for former refugees
- COVID-19 Place of Interest : New Zealand Red Cross Shop Greerton Tauranga
- Kitset cabins and collegial connections
- Be Good and Ready in an emergency
- Welcome packs help former refugee families make their new house a home
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Show your support
There are so many ways to show your support for former refugees here in New Zealand. Volunteer, provide a job, donate money or small goods - the choice is yours.
Moving is hard for anyone but imagine arriving in a new place where everything is unfamiliar. Kiwis can make a world of difference to people arriving as refugees by offering a friendly welcome - whether it’s a chat over the fence or a shared meal.
Welcoming neighbours and communities makes a big difference in helping a family who have gone through traumatic experiences. It can take time to feel safe again, get used to new systems and a new culture, learn ‘Kiwi’ English, build networks and find employment. Having the support of the local community makes it easier.
Get involved - support refugee resettlement in Aotearoa
The best way to help refugees is by helping us!
With your support, we can continue to better the lives of refugees globally and offer former refugees the highest quality resettlement support when they arrive in New Zealand. You may like to consider:
- Volunteering as a refugee support volunteer, helping support a new family as they resettle. Register for volunteer training through New Zealand Red Cross.
- ·Providing a job for a former refugee – a key part of the resettlement process. This can be organised through the Red Cross Pathways to Employment programme.
- Donating helps support our work with new refugees in New Zealand and our work internationally with refugees.
- Donating small household goods (not furniture, but items like bedding and things for setting up kitchens) that will help turn houses into homes for refugee families. Donations of goods can be made at a New Zealand Red Cross Shop within a refugee resettlement area. Find out where our resettlement areas are.