What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- World First Aid Day 2021 #EverydayHeroes
- Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis | FAQ
- New Zealand Red Cross is calling for support from Kiwis to help ease the suffering of those most impacted by COVID-19 across the Pacific
- Afghanistan Humanitarian Crisis
- New Zealand Red Cross continues to provide essential services under COVID-19 Alert Level 4
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Wellingtonians got the chance to try flavours from across the globe at Red Cross’ World Refugee Day celebration.
Red Cross in Wellington held a festival of food, crafts and cultural performances to celebrate World Refugee Day in June.
Food on offer included empanadas and papas rellenas from South America, a variety of Syrian and Iranian dishes, baklava, noodles and a range Greek delicacies. Many of the stalls were run by former refugees.
The celebration enabled former refugees to share their food and cultures with their new neighbours, and was also an opportunity for them to experience aspects of business management, Red Cross Wellington Service Centre Coordinator Margaret Carson said.Red Cross is the primary provider of community refugee resettlement in Aotearoa, helping new Kiwis rebuild their lives in New Zealand.