What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- A hand up for tomorrow’s engineers
- Media Release | Bids replace buckets in New Zealand Red Cross annual appeal
- Always there in times of disaster – Westport floods
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross says thanks a million for donating to support the people of Tonga
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross supporting emergency response on the West Coast
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
At almost 103, Dorothy could teach us a thing or two about voluntary service. Dorothy has been creating beautiful blankets for Red Cross for over quarter of a century. Dorothy is a part of Chatty Clickers, the Napier Branch knitting group coordinated by Jan Cowdell. Jan agrees that Dorothy’s knitting skills are “amazing”.
Chatty Clickers began in 2002, when Jackie Ellwood – who volunteered in the local Red Cross Shop – began to make garments from donated wool. From these humble beginnings, the group now hosts four sales a year along with a winter sale and street fair stall at Christmas. The knitting group raises an incredible $5500 to $7500 annually.
The group meets periodically to price, pack, finish off partially-completed garments that come in. These ladies also give their time on sale days. Jan says all the Chatty Clickers are “greatly appreciated”.
Items are also occasionally donated to support former refugees and wider community programmes.
Find out how you can get involved
We are always looking for people to help us do good. Take a look at our current volunteer opportunities here.