What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- New Zealand Red Cross responds to Nelson fires
- Red Cross welcomes government’s announcement of new refugee settlement locations
- Health worker blog: Christmas at Kutupalong
- New Zealand Red Cross welcomes government’s decision to sign Global Compact for Migration
- A scholarship to build the future
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
When the Second World War ended, they were unable to return to Poland which was behind the iron curtain.
This was the first refugee resettlement programme that New Zealand Red Cross participated in.
Red Cross nurses welcomed the Polish refugees to Wellington and helped them board the train.
Krystine Tomaszyk was one of the children on the USS General Randall and remembers what it was like arriving in New Zealand.