What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- New Zealand Red Cross appoints new Secretary General
- Lake Ōhau fire: Providing emotional support to survivors
- Serving up a lifesaving effort in Waikato
- Red Cross and the Hurricanes invite you to join the Good and Ready Photo Challenge
- Bringing ‘hope in a box’ to Kiwis in need
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
When the Second World War ended, they were unable to return to Poland which was behind the iron curtain.
This was the first refugee resettlement programme that New Zealand Red Cross participated in.
Red Cross nurses welcomed the Polish refugees to Wellington and helped them board the train.
Krystine Tomaszyk was one of the children on the USS General Randall and remembers what it was like arriving in New Zealand.