What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- A hand up for tomorrow’s engineers
- Media Release | Bids replace buckets in New Zealand Red Cross annual appeal
- Always there in times of disaster – Westport floods
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross says thanks a million for donating to support the people of Tonga
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross supporting emergency response on the West Coast
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
When MenzShed Kapiti realised they had a few too many tools, they saw an opportunity to do good in their community and help families new to New Zealand.
Mohamed Danoun, one of the recipients of the refurbished gardening tools, was excited to use the equipment. Mohamed is no stranger to keeping a garden, but it has been some time since he has had a patch to care for. “In Lebanon we had a garden, but before in Syria we had nothing,” Mohamed said.
Just over six months ago, Mohamed and his wife Hiyam arrived in New Zealand. They arrived with their five children who are settling into school, work and kindergarten.
“New Zealand is so beautiful,” Mohamed said.
For MenzShed Kapiti, the donation was just a simple gesture from a group of men keen to get together and do good in their community. As part of a wider community initiative, MenzShed seeks to bring men together in one community space to share their skills, have a laugh and work on practical tasks.
“On a typical day … we have around 45 to 55 blokes working together to undertake community projects while enjoying the company of other blokes,” MenzShed Kapiti Organising Committee Member Nigel said.
You can support new Kiwis
When former refugees arrive they often come with only a suitcase, but with skills, resilience and passion. You can help people new to your neighbourhood:
- Become a Refugee Support Volunteer. Be a friendly face and supportive guide for former refugees as they embark on their settlement journey.
- Donate small, good quality household items such as kitchen appliances and bedding to help turn houses into homes for new Kiwis. Find out what is needed in settlement cities around Aotearoa.