What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- In New Zealand
- Community programmes
- Disaster risk management
- First Aid courses and education
- International humanitarian law
- Meals on Wheels
- Migration programmes
- Restoring Family Links
- Red Cross Parcels
- COVID-19: We are in this together
- New Zealand Red Cross Youth Engagement Strategy
- Red Cross Appeal 2021
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
When MenzShed Kapiti realised they had a few too many tools, they saw an opportunity to do good in their community and help families new to New Zealand.
Mohamed Danoun, one of the recipients of the refurbished gardening tools, was excited to use the equipment. Mohamed is no stranger to keeping a garden, but it has been some time since he has had a patch to care for. “In Lebanon we had a garden, but before in Syria we had nothing,” Mohamed said.
Just over six months ago, Mohamed and his wife Hiyam arrived in New Zealand. They arrived with their five children who are settling into school, work and kindergarten.
“New Zealand is so beautiful,” Mohamed said.
For MenzShed Kapiti, the donation was just a simple gesture from a group of men keen to get together and do good in their community. As part of a wider community initiative, MenzShed seeks to bring men together in one community space to share their skills, have a laugh and work on practical tasks.
“On a typical day … we have around 45 to 55 blokes working together to undertake community projects while enjoying the company of other blokes,” MenzShed Kapiti Organising Committee Member Nigel said.
You can support new Kiwis
When former refugees arrive they often come with only a suitcase, but with skills, resilience and passion. You can help people new to your neighbourhood:
- Become a Refugee Support Volunteer. Be a friendly face and supportive guide for former refugees as they embark on their settlement journey.
- Donate small, good quality household items such as kitchen appliances and bedding to help turn houses into homes for new Kiwis. Find out what is needed in settlement cities around Aotearoa.