What is Visitor Care Manaaki Manuhiri?

Working with Te Tari Taiwhenua, Department of Internal Affairs, who is managing the New Zealand Government’s Foreign Nationals Impacted by COVID-19 Programme (known by New Zealand Red Cross as ‘Visitor Care Manaaki Manuhiri’), we are delivering in-kind assistance to help foreign nationals meet basic needs, such as food and accommodation.

Internal Affairs is administering the online system and processing applications. From 1 July, people who are in need and on temporary (work, student, visitor) and Registered Seasonal Employer (RSE) visas can check their eligibility and apply through foreignnationals.services.govt.nz. The programme will run for three months.

To find out what support you might be eligible for, head to https://covid19.govt.nz/business/covid-19-financial-support-tool/


Do you have questions?

You can download the document below which contains answers to frequently asked questions. 

We hope these will answer some of your queries, but if you still need help or require translation services, please call 0800 RED CROSS (option 1).

Applicant FAQs - Visitor Care Manaaki Manuhiri (PDF)

In-kind vouchers

From 9am, 3 July 2020, people who have received confirmation that they are entitled to an in-kind voucher will be able to receive this through their local Red Cross team. Check the information below to find out how to collect your voucher. 

Please allow 12 hours after your application has been approved and bring evidence of your approval and passport. 

This webpage will be updated every 24 hours. Please clear your browser cache for the most up-to-date information. 

  • Auckland

  • Hamilton

  • Tauranga

  • Rotorua

  • Hastings

  • Wellington

  • Blenheim

  • Christchurch

  • Queenstown

If your location is not listed, please call 0800 RED CROSS (733 27677 - option 1) to find out how you can receive your voucher.


Are you a Registered Seasonal Employers (RSE) employer or do you hold a RSE visa?

To be eligible, the Registered Seasonal Employers (RSE) employer must be an Immigration New Zealand-registered RSE employer, and have foreign nationals for whom they are required to facilitate accommodation, utilities and food, and who are no longer earning an income or are earning a reduced income.

RSE employers should contact 0800 RED CROSS (option 1) to discuss your situation. If you are on an RSE visa, you should talk to your employer about applying for this assistance.


If you have a complaint

If you are not happy with our service, please tell us. We would like to hear your feedback and to fix the problem if we can. You can call 0800 RED CROSS (option 1) or email visitorcare@redcross.org.nz to discuss your situation and identify the best process for you. 

Complaints process - Visitor Care Manaaki Manuhiri (PDF)


Translated materials