What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- New Zealand Red Cross responds to Nelson fires
- Red Cross welcomes government’s announcement of new refugee settlement locations
- Health worker blog: Christmas at Kutupalong
- New Zealand Red Cross welcomes government’s decision to sign Global Compact for Migration
- A scholarship to build the future
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Structure and leadership
Find out how Red Cross is structured, meet our senior leadership team and Board members
Governance DocumentsBoard charter (PDF)
Code of conduct for members and volunteers (PDF)
New Zealand Red Cross Constitution (2013) (PDF)
Members make up our local branches and groups. Members also come together to form our area councils. Area councils from each region have representatives at National Council. The National Council elects our National Board, which governs our organisation.
Along with governance, the National Board also appoints our Secretary General. Our Secretary General appoints staff, who support members as they volunteer, deliver services, raise money and promote the work we do. Our National Youth Panel represent a youth perspective at a governance level.
- Kerry Nickels, National President
- Pip Stewart, National Vice President
- Sarita Aldred, Youth Representative
- John Dyer
- Warren Johnstone
- Sue Ineson
- Wendy Lau
- Marama Royal
- Scott Tambisari
Executive Leadership Team:
- Niamh Lawless - Secretary General
- Anne Smith - GM Commercial and Shared Services
- Kate Jones - GM International
- Rachel O'Connor - GM Migration
- Angela Sutherland - GM Disaster Risk Management
- Shaun Greaves - GM Humanitarian Development
- Shane Chisholm - GM Communications, Marketing and Fundraising
Meet our Secretary General
Niamh Lawless joined New Zealand Red Cross in June 2017 as our Secretary General
Originally from Ireland, Niamh along with husband Stuart, moved to New Zealand 13 years ago and is happily settled in Wellington. Niamh (pronounced ‘Neve’) holds New Zealand and Irish citizenship.
In her most recent role as Chief Executive of SCOUTS New Zealand, Niamh led the development of a 10 year strategic plan. She influenced significant positive cultural change, which resulted in a Scouting Movement of volunteers and staff working together as ‘One Team’.
Prior to SCOUTS New Zealand, Niamh began her career as a chartered accountant. She went on to hold a variety of leadership roles in not-for-profit and government organisations in New Zealand and overseas. Her roles include international aid development work in Africa and she was Deputy Chief Executive for Barnardos New Zealand.
Meet our President
Kerry Nickels is our new President as of November 2018
Kerry Nickels is a lawyer who has held legal, governance and commercial roles in retail, utilities and financial businesses. She joined the New Zealand Red Cross National Board in November 2015.
“As the call to assist vulnerable people here and overseas increases, it is encouraging to see the dedication and generosity of our Red Cross people. Further opportunities and challenges will arise as the world changes, but I am sure we will still be assisting vulnerable people in the next century.”