What we do
Ā mātau mahi
Red Cross Shops
Toa Rīpeka Whero
- Get involved Donate
Sports First Aid
This course is focused on dealing effectively with sports injuries.
People who are involved in sports, including players, coaches, team managers and parents.
What this 4 hour course covers
Prerequisite: Nil, but 6400 is recommended
Qualifications achieved – Nil
Certificate of attendance: Yes
Ideal for players, coaches, parents and team managers, this course will enhance your first aid knowledge with more detail around sports specific injuries or conditions. It supports the ACC SportSmart objectives, specifically around Principal 8 – Emergency Care
- Revision of Resuscitation
- Confidence to manage bleeding situations
- Understanding of the various muscular/skeletal injuries
- Ability to apply the TOTAPS method of managing casualties
- Knowledge of head, neck and spine injuries, including the latest concussion advice
- Managing a casualty affected by environmental conditions
General introduction and housekeeping. On completion, the participants will understand the roles of the first aider and how they can access sports relevant information via ACC SportSmart.
On completion of this module, participants will be able to perform a primary assessment using DRSABCD. They will also be able to recognise an emergency, act safely and when needed provide effective resuscitation to a level which meets current guidelines.
The completion of all these sections will enable participants to recognise and manage injuries specifically within a sporting environment. They will also have a deeper understanding of the current guidance for concussion, based on ACC guidelines.
On completion of this module, participants will be aware of various environmental factors that might affect the athlete, understand the different conditions and have knowledge of how to manage them.
- There are no assessments on this course.
- All content is taken from other approved Red Cross courses, or ACC SportSmart Guidelines.
- The course will be interspersed with practice and practical scenarios.