What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- Media Release| New Zealand Red Cross investigating data security in International Committee of the Red Cross privacy breach
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross ready to respond to Tonga volcanic eruption and tsunami
- A bittersweet escape from Kabul
- Red Cross Shops need hundreds more volunteers this holiday season
- Huge Hanes new clothing donations a warm welcome for former refugees
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
Taste of Cultures recipe book
Support our work with refugee-background Kiwis and vulnerable groups across Aotearoa, while cooking up a storm! You can now buy a digital version of the recipe book for only $10.
A cultural journey
Open “Taste of Cultures” and discover the delicious food and unique stories behind each chef and their recipes. This book is much more than a recipe book – it’s a journey of people and their stories.
Former refugees now living in New Zealand have shared some of their traditional recipes that, for many families, have been passed on from generation to generation. "Taste of Cultures" explores their traditions, their culture, their journey and their new life in their new home.
These 29 mouth-watering recipes from Colombia, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Burundi, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Somalia, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Cambodia and Poland will make you want to cross the world, or simply the street, to discover more about these cultures. You’re bound to have some neighbours with stories as unique as the ones in this book.
We have tied an old tradition of creating cook books with our current work of supporting new Kiwis resettled in New Zealand. (Our very first cook book was published almost 100 years ago as a fundraiser during World War One.)
All proceeds from these books will support our work with refugee-background Kiwis and vulnerable groups across Aotearoa.
Grab your copy now!
Prices for recipe books are:
- $10 Taste of Cultures digital version
- $25 Taste of Cultures print version (click and collect from one of our Red Cross service centres)
- $32 Taste of Cultures print version (including shipping)
- $60 pack of three printed books (click and collect from one of our Red Cross service centres)
- $67 pack of three printed books (including shipping)
Check to see if you live near a Red Cross service centre here.