What we do
Ā mātau mahi
- Recent stories
- A hand up for tomorrow’s engineers
- Media Release | Bids replace buckets in New Zealand Red Cross annual appeal
- Always there in times of disaster – Westport floods
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross says thanks a million for donating to support the people of Tonga
- Media Release | New Zealand Red Cross supporting emergency response on the West Coast
- See all stories
Shop with us
Nau mai, hoko atu
- Get involved Donate
The Hazard App is a free mobile app that helps you identify hazards, reduce risks and stay informed when you need it most.
Why use the Hazard App?
A disaster can strike anytime, anywhere and affect anyone. Being prepared helps to save lives and reduce risk.
The New Zealand Red Cross Hazard App
- Receives alerts when you have wifi, even if you don't have mobile phone coverage.
- Helps you and your family prepare for emergencies with handy checklists.
- Sends you alerts about earthquakes, tsunami, floods and other hazards in your area of New Zealand.
- Uses trustworthy information generated by the National Emergency Management Agency and your local CDEM groups.
- Allows you to monitor more than one location at once (for example, you could choose to monitor your home, your child’s school and places where your friends and whanau live).
- Has a handy torch, strobe light and audible alarm.
- Has an “I am safe” function so that you can let friends and family know you are safe in an emergency when it is harder to communicate using other methods.
QBE Insurance supports the Hazard App
QBE Insurance partners with Red Cross globally to enhance community resilience by preparing for, responding to, and recovering from disasters.
In New Zealand, QBE is the primary supporter of the Hazard App, helping Red Cross promote and maintain the app and enabling New Zealanders to stay safe and informed in emergencies.
Download the Hazard App
Download the Hazard App in your app store.
iOS / Apple devices
- Download the Hazard App in the App store for iOS devices
- The Hazard App is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
- It works on IOS version 14 and more recent versions
- Read the set up instructions for iOS devices
Setup instructions for iOS
- Download the Hazard App in the Google Play store for Android devices
- The Hazard App works on Android OS version 11 and more recent versions.
Setup instructions for Android Devices
Go to Settings in your phone and agree to receive automatic updates from the Hazard App.
Customize the Hazard App
Watch the 3 minute video about how to tailor the information to your location and your interests.
Which locations do you want to monitor?
Turn on your device's Location Services/GPS in 'Settings'.
Choose up to five locations in New Zealand. Make your location your “primary location”. You can also include places where your friends and family live or work as secondary locations.
Choose how wide you want the location monitoring to be. For example, do you want to monitor Wellington City only? Or the whole of the Wellington region.
When you travel activate ‘Monitor current location’ function. This will use more battery.
Which hazards do you want to monitor?
Choose which hazards you want to monitor. For example, you could choose to receive Earthquake warnings but not receive weather warnings.
How much information do you want about each hazard?
You can choose how much information you receive about each hazard.
For example, you can choose how much information to receive about the weather. If you only want to be notified when severe weather is “imminent” and don’t need to know when severe weather is just “possible” then turn off the notifications for
- severe thunderstorm watch
- high wind watch
- severe weather statement.
This will stop approximately 80% of the alerts you receive via the app.
Promote the Hazard App to your friends and family
Help us to promote the Hazard App by sharing it with your network and on social media.
Use our Hazard App marketing assets to promote the Hazard App.